About the NFB DeafBlind Division
The National Federation of the Blind DeafBlind Division, a proud division of the National Federation of the Blind, knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back. Together with love, hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality.
What is the National Federation of the Blind DeafBlind Division?
The National Federation of the Blind DeafBlind Division, a division of the National Federation of the Blind, is an organization that believes in the full capacity of DeafBlind people, and has the power, influence, diversity and determination to help transform our dreams into reality. Members work together for a brighter tomorrow by raising expectations so that DeafBlind persons can live the life they want.
Who We Are
The National Federation of the Blind DeafBlind Division is a nonprofit volunteer membership organization comprised of DeafBlind and interested blind and sighted persons of all ages, their families and friends. Our committed state affiliate DeafBlind divisions and committees, committees, programs, and well-trained leaders help newly blind people adjust to vision and hearing loss, and promote the full participation and integration of DeafBlind people in our communities. We bring our collective experiences together to effect change at the state and national level.
As a proud division of the largest organization of the blind in the world, the DeafBlind Division works to achieve equality, opportunity and security for those who have a combined loss of hearing and sight. We raise awareness of the issues of DeafBlindness, educate the public and advocate for the needs of the DeafBlind. We support one another, act with courage and determination when we encounter barriers or experience setbacks, and engage in collective action to improve our lives. We believe in DeafBlind people because we are DeafBlind people.
If you have a combined hearing and vision loss, or if you’re interested in learning more about DeafBlindness, please consider joining our diverse membership that includes DeafBlind individuals, our families and friends, agency and organization representatives, teachers and more.
What Is Our Purpose?
The purpose of this organization is:
- to serve as a division of the National Federation of the Blind
- to be a vehicle for collective action by the blind and the DeafBlind of the nation
- to function as a mechanism through which the blind, DeafBlind, and interested sighted persons can come together to plan and carry out programs to improve the quality of life for the blind and the DeafBlind
- to promote the vocational, cultural, and social advancement of the blind and DeafBlind
- to achieve the integration of the blind and the DeafBlind into society on a basis of equality with the sighted
- to focus attention upon the problems faced by DeafBlind people in all walks of life
- to take any other action which will improve the overall condition and standard of living of children, adolescents, adults and seniors who are blind or DeafBlind